IAFS Major Requirements
Note: Students who declared the IAFS major in Fall 2014 or later complete the 3-credit Off-Campus Experience. Students who declared the IAFS major before Fall 2014 complete the 3-credit Major Elective (details below).
- A minimum course grade of C- or better is required for all courses. No Pass/Fail allowed for major courses.
- If at all possible, you should arrange to spend a year or semester on study abroad. CU financial aid can usually be applied to CU-sponsored programs.
- If you declared IAFS as your major prior to Summer 2004, or if you're on the pre-summer 2009 Gold curriculum plan, see your advisor for details on requirements.
- Please refer to this semester's schedule for classes currently available.
- Complete the following five courses (18 credit hours total):
|IAFS 1000||Global Issues and International Affairs|
|PSCI 2223||Introduction to International Relations|
|PSCI 2012||Introduction to Comparative Politics|
|ECON 2010||Principles of Microeconomics|
|ECON 2020||Principles of Macroeconomics|
- Complete the requirements for functional area, geographic concentration, major elective, senior seminar, and foreign language.
- IAFS 4930 Internship in International Affairs may count for either upper division category or for geographic concentration depending on the structure of the internship and approval by the internship director. See the IAFS Internship Program page for more details.
IAFS 3000: Special Topics in International Affairs may be repeated up to 9 credits for different special topics.
- Complete one class in each of the four functional areas and complete two additional classes in ANY functional area (6 classes, 18 credit hours)
- Students cannot apply more than four functional area classes from one department (i.e., PSCI, ECON). Please check all prerequisites for courses.
The permanent list of functional area classes can be found here: Functional Area I: Development and Culture, Functional Area II: International Economics, Business, and Political Economy, Functional Area III: Political Geography, International Security, and Foreign Policy, and Functional Area IV: Institutions, Rights, and Norms.
Complete three classes in your geographic concentration (3 classes, 9 credit hours).
IAFS majors must choose an area of geographic concentration, and a language appropriate to that area, no later than the beginning of their Junior year. Geographic concentration is a part of or a whole region outside the United States: Africa/Middle East, Asia, Europe/Eurasia, or Latin America. Geographic concentration: should be mainly in the social sciences; must include one course in contemporary history; and can include a three hour course of contemporary literature (taught in the foreign language). Students wishing to use other geographic concentrations must receive written approval from the Director of the International Affairs Program.
If you declared the IAFS major in Fall 2014 or later:
Complete 3 upper division credit hours to fulfill the Off-Campus Experience from one of: IAFS 4930: Internship in International Affairs; a study abroad course; a CU in DC course; or other credit-bearing off-campus experience approved by the program.
If you declared the IAFS major before Fall 2014:
Complete 3 credit hours to fulfill the Major Elective from any Functional Area OR your Geographic Concentration
Complete one of the following: IAFS 4500 or IAFS 4800 (1 class, 3 credit hours).
Minimum requirement: Third-year, university-level proficiency in a foreign language appropriate to the area of concentration. This requirement may be met through:
- Completion of two 3000-level grammar courses in the language (except Spanish see below); OR
Certification by the appropriate department of such competence. See your IAFS advisor for details.
Specific Requirement by Language
For the following languages, the third-year courses which will fulfill the language requirement are:
ARAB 3010 & 3020
CHIN 3110 & 3120
Two of the following
FREN 3010, 3050, 3060
GRMN 3010 & 302
HEBR 3010 & 3020
HIND 3010 & 3020
ITAL 3015 and ONE of the following:
ITAL 3025, 3030, 3040
(Pre-Fall 2012, students may count two of the following: ITAL 3010, 3020, 3030)
PORT 3003 & 3230
RUSS 3010 & 3020
This 5 credit course only:
*Please check courses for number of credit hours. For languages not on this page, please see your IAFS advisor for details. Questions about languages? Click here for our IAFS Language Requirements: General Guidelines.
All lower division IAFS courses count for Contemporary Societies. Check the College of Arts & Sciences website for a full listing of core courses. Our individual semester PDF schedules may list other classes that fulfill core requirements.
|Course||IAFS Requirement||Core Requirement|
|COMM 3410||Functional Area I||Human Diversity|
|IAFS/JWST 3600||Functional Area I||Human Diversity|
|SOCY/WMST 3012||Functional Area I||Human Diversity|
|IAFS 3500/HIST 4190||Functional Area III||Historical Context|
|PHIL 3190||Functional Area III||Ideals & Values|
|PSCI 3163||Functional Area III||US Context|
|PHIL 3260||Functional Area IV||Ideals & Values|
|SOCY 4121||Functional Area IV||Ideals and Values|
|Course||Geographic Concentration||Core Requirement|
|IAFS/JWST 3650||Africa/Middle East||Historical Context|
|RLST 3100||Africa/Middle East||Historical Context|
|GEOG 3822||Asia||Human Diversity|
|KREN 3441||Asia||Human Diversity|
|ECON 4514||Europe/Eurasia||Historical Context|
|IAFS 3500/HIST 4190||Europe/Eurasia||Historical Context|
|ITAL 4730||Europe/Eurasia||Human Diversity|
|RUSS 3502||Europe/Eurasia||Ideals & Values|
|RUSS 4221||Europe/Eurasia||Ideals & Values|
|RUSS 4471||Europe/Eurasia||Human Diversity|
- Curriculum & Programs
- Student Groups & Awards
- News & Events
- Professional Development
- People & Contact
Fall 2014 at IAFS: Check out the Registrar's Fall 2014 deadlines and the IAFS Fall 2014 semester schedule. Visit our News & Events section for upcoming activities. IAFS syllabi will be posted here with faculty office hours. There will be one IAFS Graduation ceremony for 2014-2015 IAFS graduates on Friday, May 8th, 2015. See our IAFS graduation ceremony dates and details. Like the CU Boulder IAFS Facebook page to keep up to date with IAFS!